Thursday, November 27, 2008

"Dad you're like Kung Fu Panda."






It has been a while since I have posted a blog, but life has been busy. The new dog needed to be spayed, the Tahoe had to go in to the body shop to be fixed, I spent a whole weekend in Afton and Rock Springs for work, I tolerated a 2 hour CES in-service and had my Institute class observed by the CES "dude" from Casper, and I tested for 2 martial art belts.
So today is Thanksgiving and at 5am, I woke Miller up to go hunting with me, he didn't want to get up. Melinda got very ill so I decided to stay home and get the food ready. Melinda wouldn't let me do the pies, she is considering letting me do the rolls. I did the turkey and stuffing and will almost certainly be able to peel the spuds without being challenged for the job.
I am looking forward to going hunting tomorrow, Sandi (the new dog) has recovered from her surgery and I hope we can find some pheasants to shoot. Miller and I have a couple of deer tags to fill so the weekend may shape up nicely as long as I don't get sick and provided Miller will get up at 5am.
Michael recently tested for and earned his red belt. In 6 months he can test for his black belt. I think it is pretty cool that he has stuck with it and has developed a pretty decent jump double kick. I have made it to green belt which is the fourth belt in rank in the long line road to black belt. I managed to do it in 6 months. Not too bad for a middle aged fat guy. I still haven't mastered the jump double kick yet, but the ground shakes when I do a back break fall and my bo staff skills are beginning to take shape. A couple of weeks ago at the end of a particularly long and strenuous practice as we were walking out to the car, Michael and Mary both said "Dad you're like Kung Fu Panda". I was not certain if this was meant to be a compliment or a gentle slap down. I asked what they meant by the comment, both answered in unison "I don't know". Normally I would take this to mean they didn't want to hurt my feelings and thus used the "I don't know" card to save their skins. I had not held out any delusion that I resemble a grey haired Jackie Chan or anything so on this occasion I allowed myself the luxury of thinking "Kung Fu Panda? Hummmm, well he did turn out to be pretty cool by the end of the movie". So now I am working on figuring out the "Wooshy finger hold" so I can impress the judges at the next test, and perhaps I'll use Micheal and Mary to it demonstrate on.
Have a good Thanksgiving everyone. Jim, I wish I could be at the Chili Bowl this year.

No comments: